by Angela Wright
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg yolks (reserve egg whites)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon(s) dried lavender flowers (Look for dried lavender flowers in spice shops. If using lavender from the garden, make sure it hasn’t been treated with chemicals.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup(s)Lemon Curd, or store-bought
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
1) Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with mixer until well blended. Beat in yolks, vanilla, lavender and salt. With mixer on low speed beat in flour just until moist clumps form. Gather dough together in bowl to bind. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2) Heat oven to 350 degrees ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or nonstick liners.
3) Shape scant tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in egg white, then nuts. Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. With your thumb make a deep indentation in the center of each ball. Bake cookies until firm and lightly golden on bottom, about 19 to 20 minutes.
4) Remove cookies from oven and immediately fill indentations with curd. Return to oven and bake 2 minutes longer to set curd.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes or until thickened.